Tuesday, September 9

I've decided to do a triathlon before I turn 40 in September 2004. An olympic triathlon consists of a:

- 1.5 k (.94 mile) swim
- 40 k (24.8 mile) bike ride
- 10 k (6.4 mile) run

This is much more reasonable than an Ironman competition, which is what I always thought a triathlon was. Those distances are a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and a 26 mile marathon run. Yikes!

Why have I decided to do this? I'm not sure. I've really been working to become more fit and have really enjoyed my cycling. I do regular 20 - 35 mile road bike rides in the hills around town and it doesn't kill me. I've started lifting weights a bit, and hope to do more weight training. My diet has been improving and I think it's starting to verge onto the wacky side (grinding my own flax, making my own soy milk, making my own whole wheat bread, starting to do seed sprouting). Freaky!

Anyway, this blog is a way for me to keep track of the training I do and show progress over time. It also provides pressure for me to follow through on this goal and not let it drop due to discouragement.

I hope to do my triathlon in the spring or summer of 2004. I'm just looking for one near home, that's not too hard, and isn't on a Sunday. We'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home